Monday, January 18, 2010

Hurricane Ike - The Beginning



About one and one half months after Hurricane Ike, this beautiful husky started to come up in my backyard. She was extremely thin, so I offered her some food and she ate. She would come up periodically but not on a regular basis. She was coming up from the woods behind my home. Most of the time she was accompanied by a huge gorgeous white husky, but he would remain at the woods edge, watching over the female while she ate.


I thought perhaps they were lost to their owners due to Ike, so I posted photos on the local lost and found sites. About 3 months later I discovered the owners were living in my own neighborhood. They had evacuated for the hurricane and left these 2 behind in their backyard. When they returned and discovered they had run away, they decided that they did not want them back and would simply leave them out there. They even encouraged the neighbors to shoot them if they became too much of a bother!
It was in March when them female came up for food and I noticed she had been nursing, she had pups out in the woods. I couldn't even imagine how they would survive. There are coyotes and bobcats out there. I thought surely someone has taken them in. "Momma" (what I had started calling her) never came up on a regular basis and if she had pups, she must have a home somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment